Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

Can you give a cat,a baby suppository he is having trouble

Can you give a cat,a baby suppository he is having trouble having a bowel movement and the enema the vet suggested is not working
Is he eating and drinking normally? Has he had any x-rays or other tests done?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He was eating normally but not all today and he drinks very little. He did have an x-ray when this first started to happen to view his intestines and thats how we were able to see he was impacted. At that time she had to give him 6 enemas to clean him out. This was a while ago maybe six months.
So the enema DID work 6 months ago, and now there is once again constipation. Many cats experience constipation, and in chronic cases, there can be dilation of the colon (Megacolon) which is difficult to manage successfully, without surgery. In this situation, because he is not eating at all, it will be difficult for you to manage this condition at home - there are oral stool softeners such as Colace / Docusate Sodium, but this should not be used in a cat that isn't eating and is barely drinking. Similarly, enemas and other treatments can be dangerous in a dehydrated cat - potentially causing life-threatening electrolyte abnormalities. Suppositories are sometimes helpful, but some contain medications that are not to be used in cats. As a result, it would not be my first choice in this situation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What do you suggest? I can give him water with a dropper. He like to drink water that way. Should I give more water and than reattempt another enema. His anus is distended and he seems tired.
As much water as you can get him to take with the dropper, will be a good thing for him. He is probably tired because of the straining, and the dehydration - if you can afford it, an emergency veterinary exam will be the safest option for this poor kitty - so that he can be started on some IV fluids, and then once he's rehydrated, he can be "cleaned out" properly. We usually use a large pair of forceps to physically remove the impacted feces, as they are often just too hard and large to be passed no matter how many enemas or other treatments we do.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much and I will get him to his primary vet
You're welcome. Best Wishes :)