Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

my cat has a really itchy back at the base of the tail. I regularly

my cat has a really itchy back at the base of the tail. I regularly use front line on him for the four years we have had him. could it be mites? I cant see anything but he has flakey skin but the fur has not fallen out. He has had it for about five weeks now.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

Are there any scabs on the skin?

Is the skin red or just flaky?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
now just flkey but had scabs as a result of a fight. the scabs have gone but the area at the base of tail is very uncomfortable for him. he tries to lick it franticly. not red.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
How long ago was the bite wound?

Was it in the same spot he is now licking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he had sratches on his back, top and sides, as if he was running away, this was about two months ago and they cleared up within about three weeks with the scabs falling off when heeled after brushing. since then he is only bothered by this one area at the base of the tail.but there is no scab there now only flakey skin. he will sudenly stop walking to lick the area or wake up from sleep. he just seems very uncomfortable and irratated.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
The problem could be scar tissue from the previous wounds or an allergic reaction. Oral Benadryl can be used at 1/2-1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed to rule out an allergic reaction. The licking should stop quickly. If it continues, a long acting cortisone injection from your vet may be needed. Mites are very unlikely, they mainly affected the head and face.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you Dr. Scott. I live in the uk where can i purchase benadryl? can i get it on line or chemist?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
The generic name is XXXXX XXXXX the US is an over the counter antihistamine. I would check your grocery store first and the chemist second.