Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

Are there anti-nausea medicines for cats like there are for

Are there anti-nausea medicines for cats like there are for humans? My cat is in the animal hospital and won't eat. She hasn't eaten for 6 days now and they have her on an IV. She checked out fine on paper -- no diseases or issues. She has a URI that won't go away, even with anti-biotics and I fear the meds are making her queasy and that's why she won't eat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Hi there and welcome to justanswer!

The fact that she will not eat may be due to this nauseous feeling and giving her an antiemetic such as metaclopromide to control the nauseous feeling and antacids such as Pepcid AC or Zantac can help control the acid production in her stomach which may be causing this nauseous feeling.

Your vet would have to give this medication which is prescription but talk to them about these other over the counter meds that may help your gal.

Good luck!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The question my vet won't answer for me is this -- how "long" (typically) can a cat survive if they will not eat? She was a skinny cat to begin with and it breaks my heart to see her not eat, not respond, etc. She seems "healthy" in every other way and I'd hate to put her down and then find out somehow she was just sick to her stomach. I know she can't be enjoying the hospital and I want badly to bring her home. I'm disappointed that they haven't given her any kind of "nutrient" -- just water, an IV and regular cat food that she won't eat. I will bring up the anti-nausea meds (again). Do you know anything about a sore throat? She's is gulping, which I know is common for URI, but I also wonder if she's not eating because it hurts. When I have a sore throat, I don't want to eat either. But, I can use chloraseptic. She can't.
If a cat does not eat, this can be very serious and set her up for a fatty liver,. generally, if your cat is still in the hospital, they will place a stomach tube to feed her to be sure that she is getting the nutrients she needs to fight off her problems and prevent any liver damage which is a huge risk if she has not eaten in 6 days.

Please ask them about feeding her to prevent Fatty Liver Disease.