Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

hi there, i have just found a lump on my cats jaw line - doesnt

hi there,
i have just found a lump on my cats jaw line - doesnt seem to be in the mouth- it seem painless.The lump is under the skin, there is not sign of injury or wound. The lump is a kideny bean size.
She is three years old, neutered and goes outside. She has been behaving normally and keen to eat.

What next?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is the lump on the bottom or top jaw? Is it firm? Does it seem to be attached to the jaw bone?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi there,
many thanks for your reply.

the lump is on the bottom of jaw line, and seem malleable, although a definite lump.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. Is it where the neck meets the jaw?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i guess so - its on/under the jaw bone line, on the left side
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
No comprable mass on the right side?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no - i have just another feel around it is movable - no swelling, the cat is totally not bothered! Seems softer.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. You are most likely feeling a lymph node or salivary gland. A lymph node may be enlarged due to antigenic stimulation/inflammation/infection drainage or cancer (less likely in a cat so young). A salivary gland may be enlarge due to infection, cystic lesion in the gland or cancer (again, less likely in a young cat). Drainage from an infection in the mouth or facial area usually causes that lymph node to enlarge. You can often get tooth root abscesses without any outward signs in the mouth or pain. I have seen them before with very clean mouths. It doesn't sound like an emergency, but I woud get her in to be seen on Monday by your vet. They may want to aspirate the mass to get a diagnosis, but she will most likely go on some antibiotics. Many of these enlargements decrease with antibiotic therapy. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.