Dr. Andi
Dr. Andi, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am skilled in small animal emergency, medicine, surgery, acupuncture and complementary medicine.
27829951

I have an outbreak of Mycoplasma Felis in my cattery right

I have an outbreak of Mycoplasma Felis in my cattery right now. There is a previous question about this, of hich the answer is completely wrong. The veterinarian is talking about Mycoplasma Hameofelis, and the cat owner is talking about Mycoplasma Felis, not the same thing! I am not interested in the hematological variety, but the conjuctivitisvariety. There is sad to say, very little information around on the web regarding this, and I can't seem to get appropriate answers to the questions I have. I understand the way it works, and I have sufficient treating - I treat with Doxycycline, that is the most effective antibiotic available for the condition, except for a feeding queen, who is treated with Azithromycin to spare the teeth of the babies. I also crosstreat profylactively with L-Lysine for Herpes, so that this won't interfere with the treatment of the Mycoplasma. What I am interested to know is if there are any adequate statistics for relapse occurency? And how about contagiousness? Is the cat considered contagious until the treatment is complete? Or will a few weeks of medication make the cat less prone to infect other cats? If the mycoplasma is successfully treated, will most likely eventual chemosis of the tissue and third lid disappear? Is it possible that a cat can have the organism without any clinical symtoms?
Is this specific subspecies newly recongnized since there is so little information about it around?

This is a very difficult and frustrating problem, as I'm sure you know.
My first question is: how did you diagnose this? Did you vet submit for PCR or an upper respiratory viral panel? If not, I would highly recommend you do this, because the differentiation dictates the course of treatment (and the species differentiation is very important).

If it truly is M. hemofelis- this is usually tramsmitted by fleas while the M. felis is transmitted by mucosal route (usually mouth). Doxycycline is a good treatment, along with topical Azithromycin which you are doing. If, at the end of the antibiotic treatment, the clinical signs are still present then I would say the cause is more likely Herpes virus.

One of the best resources for this is Dr. Mike Lappin at Colorado State Vet Hospital. You might have your vet try to contact him for more advice.

Let me know if you have done the tests already and what the results were, and then I can potentially help you more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello again. Thanks for the answer. Yes, we have done a panel for FHV/Chlamydia/Mycoplasma felis, and it came back positive for Mycoplasma felis. Herpes I know that all my cats have, and am also very familiar with feline respiratory diseases. (Have worked as a vet's nurse and breed cats). I treat all my cats profylactically with L-Lysine and it works good. I agree about the differentiation, this is most definitely felis, not haemofelis. So the clinical signs should disappear in course of time? Even though they might have been going with the infection for a while? See, I thought it WAS herpes, until I started thinking about myco instead. And then it proved to be... I am just worried about clinical signs and damage on the eye tissue and third lid. Also I wonder how long it will take before they are harmless for other cats. I have a male who is supposed to mate a female, and the owner of the female knows about the myco. My suggestion is that we wait until the cats have been free of symptoms for two weeks, as my vet meant was the time I needed to treat also... What do you think?

Hi there,

I'm glad you had the PCR done. According to the research I have done, a three to six week course of antibiotics should resolve clinical signs and carrier status. However, there are reported cats who can never kick the infection, and they have chronic, intermittant relapses. But, most cats respons to the long course of Doxycyline. I have also tried 2 drops of Betadine in a small bottle of saline and applied it to the eyes twice a day. This has really helped with the chemosis. You should be able to consult a veterinary opthalmologist about any additional treatments you can add.

I totally agree with your suggestion to wait to breed until they have been free of symptoms for 2 weeks- good job!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe I have gotten the answers I need :) Thank you very much :)