Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004 with 15 years in feline rescue.
23926829

Should I be concerened that my cat keeps licking her lips more

Customer Question

Should I be concerened that my cat keeps licking her lips more & more each day.She is 8 years old.No other symptons.Thanks.Alfreda
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 7 years ago.

Hi there

I would at least have her mouth examined. A bad tooth or lesions at the back of the throat or under the tongue could cause the lip licking. Any pet over 7 years old should have yearly blood work done just to make sure things are working fine on the inside. Nausea can also cause lip licking. Godo luck Dr. Jenn

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What about her pancreas ? If she were to have a problem there would that cause lip licking ? About a year ago she vomited for a couple of days I took her in.Exam, x-rays, blood work, then off to a special hospital for more tests, an ultra-sound, more blood work and both hospitals said they could not find anything wrong.The one Vet said maybe we should of done a test on her pancreas but at that point she stopped vomiting so he said if she stops completing then no need for the test,Well she has stoped but I think I noticed a start of licking it is hard to remember because our other cat was in intenstive care fighting for his life with kidney cancer.Should I ask to have her pancreas tested ? If she were to have a problem with the pancreas what would be the symptons ? Thanks..Alfreda
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What about her pancreas ? If she were to have a problem there would that cause lip licking ? About a year ago she vomited for a couple of days I took her in.Exam, x-rays, blood work, then off to a special hospital for more tests, an ultra-sound, more blood work and both hospitals said they could not find anything wrong.The one Vet said maybe we should of donWhat about her pancreas ? If she were to have a problem there would that cause lip licking ? About a year ago she vomited for a couple of days I took her in.Exam, x-rays, blood work, then off to a special hospital for more tests, an ultra-sound, more blood work and both hospitals said they could not find anything wrong.The one Vet said maybe we should of done a test on her pancreas but at that point she stopped vomiting so he said if she stops completing then no need for the test,Well she has stoped but I think I noticed a start of licking it is hard to remember because our other cat was in intenstive care fighting for his life with kidney cancer.Should I ask to have her pancreas tested ? If she were to have a problem with the pancreas what would be the symptons ? Thanks..Alfreda e a test on her pancreas but at that point she stopped vomiting so he said if she stops completing then no need for the test,Well she has stoped but I think I noticed a start of licking it is hard to remember because our other cat was in intenstive care fighting for his life with kidney cancer.Should I ask to have her pancreas tested ? If she were to have a problem with the pancreas what would be the symptons ? Thanks..Alfreda (Online) -- 1 Accept / 1 Question
Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. Reply so we can help you better Check Spelling Release Date2007-02-13
-- Styles --Normal TextSmall TextFine PrintBlue NormalBlue Small
What about her pancreas ? If she were to have a problem there would that cause lip licking ? About a year ago she vomited for a couple of days I took her in.Exam, x-rays, blood work, then off to a special hospital for more tests, an ultra-sound, more blood work and both hospitals said they could not find anything wrong.The one Vet said maybe we should of done a test on her pancreas but at that point she stopped vomiting so he said if she stops completing then no need for the test,Well she has stoped but I think I noticed a start of licking it is hard to remember because our other cat was in intenstive care fighting for his life with kidney cancer.Should I ask to have her pancreas tested ? If she were to have a problem with the pancreas what would be the symptons ? Thanks..Alfreda (Online) -- 1 Accept / 1 Question

characters left: What Should I Do?

characters left: What Should I Do?
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 7 years ago.

There would be changes in the blod work that would sugest the pancreas is not happy-an ultrasound would give a look at it as well. Usually, they are sick-little appetite, vomiting. Could this be the start of something coming?-it may be. That is where the blood work would help guide us. Blood work values can change rapidly within a matter of days! We might be surprised and she may have a bad tooth!