How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 13024
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Rebecca is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i think my cat ingested damp rid. very lethargic.what can i

Resolved Question:

i think my cat ingested damp rid. very lethargic.what can i do
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.
The active ingredient in Rid is piperonyl, an insecticide, which is also used in cat flea shampoos and flea collars. However, it is known to be toxic in cats at high enough doses. Usually the symptoms are twitching, and even seizures, since it is toxic to the nervous system. Just being lethargic would not be a typical reaction.

If your cat ingested this recently (one to two hours) getting her to vomit could help. If it has been longer than that, vomiting will not help. She needs to be given activated charcoal by mouth, to absorb any more of the piperonyl in her intestines.

There is no specific antidote. If she begins to twitch or especially if she has a seizure, she may need veterinary attention.

Rebecca and 4 other Cat Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Cat Veterinary Questions