Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

How do I stop my cat from urinating it its water fountain/bowl I

Customer Question

How do I stop my cat from urinating it it's water fountain/bowl?
I have 2 cats and only one of them does it. Thank you
Belinda
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 7 years ago.

Hi Belinda. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

With a cat that urinates the way you describe, the number one thing we need to make sure he does not have is urinary tract diseases (infections, stones, cancer etc). So he needs to get an urinalysis done to make sure everything is fine. If so, then we can blame this on behavior and there is a cat pheromone called Feliway that can help to calm cats down and rid of unwanted behavior. But like anything, there is a chance that it might not work, and then we will have to resort to using prescription medications. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that he needs an exam and urinalysis at the very least to make sure we don't have the common diseases going on.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he does have uninary tract disease but he has been fine with no infection as I sometimes take his unire for testing after he has urinated. I feel that this bahavioral, but maybe it is fust the Urinary Tract disease. When he was 2 he had an operation to remove his penis as he always had crystals in his urine and was getting blocked. He no longer has crystals and I am feeding his urinary s/o food. He also has had thyroid disease and had Radioactive Iodine therapy, and now has had no problems. He has also been bitten by a snake. I think my cat had nore than nine lives.
Maybe I need to pit this behavior down to all of the above.
Thanks Belinda
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 7 years ago.

Goodness, he has gone through a lot! I have to agree your cat does have 9 lives.

About the urination, yes it can be behvaioral. But unfortunately without recheck urine etc, we cannot arrive at that conclusion. If you want to skip this step, you can try getting Feliway electric diffuser and see if that works. The thing about this is that, if it works and corrects the problem, that's great. If it does not, then we're back to square one because it does not mean we do not have behavioral problem.

If you are satisfied with my help, please press ACCEPT so the system can acknowledge my work here.