Dr.D, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian for 27 years. Licensed in Canada and in the USA.

My kitten has been sleeping all day, not eating, wont play

Customer Question

My kitten has been sleeping all day, not eating, won't play and has been for a wee once...ive had her since tuesday and shes been so active all other days...should i worry? I also have an older cat, but they seem ok with eachother...
Submitted: 6 years ago via KittenCare.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.D replied 6 years ago.
Did your kitten get all her vaccinations ?
Is there any Vomiting or diarrhea ,cough , diffiucult breathing ?
She might have fever . Since she is kitten she is open to viral infections.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No. She was sort of "dumped" on me, but I have booked her in for flea treatment on the 15th, and vaccinations on the 21st.

She had a bit of diarrhea the first day, but I think it could be due to he previous home giving her cows milk. After having fed her Whiskas kitten food, her poo has improved. I will try to eventually get her to eat Hills Science Plan for kittens.

No signs of difficulty breathing and no cough, although she has sneased every now and then, but not every day. There is no secretion from either eyes or nose.

She has been extremely playful all other days, and usually comes running when I call her for food. When I try playing with her today, she does follow the toy with her eyes, but doesnt play.

As mentioned, she did tuck in to my old cats food, also whiskas. I took her away from it.

And she has only peed today, nothing else...shes been asleep since 9 approximately...

If I pick her up she seems a bit floppy and sometimes starts to shiver.

I am really worried. If it is a fever, what do I do?

Expert:  Dr.D replied 6 years ago.
Kittens need three or four sets of vaccines given once every 21 days. There is always a posibility of getting viral infections in unvaccinated kittens .

can you take her temperature ? Do you have a thermometer ?

Apply some vaseline or KY jelly if not an antibiotic cream on thetip of the thermometer and gently insert the tip into her rectum. Please do not force since cats rectum can tear easily.

If it is higher than 102 F ( 38.9 C) you can try to give her baby aspirin ONCE. Be careful with the baby aspirin and try to be in the range of correct amount. No tylenol !!

The dosage for baby aspirin is : 10 mg/kg body weight .ONCE EVERY THREE DAYS . I would not wait for three days if the temperature is not coming down . Please take her to your vet if not feeling better by tomorrow.

If you have difficulty adjusting the amount of the aspirin come back and tell me how much she weighs.

Edited by Dr.Demirel on 12/13/2009 at 7:10 PM EST