Dr. Tad
Dr. Tad, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years as a small animal and emergency veterinarian
24225848

Can diabetes in a cat cause the cats nose to bleed on occasion

Can diabetes in a cat cause the cat's nose to bleed on occasion and eventually his eye?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Tad replied 6 years ago.
Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your cat. The short answer to your question is that this is NOT a normal consequence to diabetes in a cat. It sounds like there is likely something else going on. Unfortunately, there are numerous causes of nosebleeds in cats and some more in depth diagnostics would be necessary to work up the problem.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Dr. Tad
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. We did an xray and biopsy of the nasal passage and no tumor or cancel cells showed up - this was done back in July. I'm trying to figure out what to try next without having to do the very expensive testing of the nasal passages (my husband won't pay for that and I don't blame him as it will cost over $1200). Taffy's first sign was lots of sneezing and hacking. This has continued along with excessive thirst. His nasal and eye bleeding turned yellowish and thus we are doing antibiotics. Every body loves Taffy as he is the nicest cat. I just hate to have him put to sleep.
Expert:  Dr. Tad replied 6 years ago.
While I'm glad to hear that a biopsy showed no evidence of cancer, unfortunately it does not rule it out. I certainly do not blame you for not pursuing the more expensive tests, but they are probably what is necessary to look a little further. A rhinoscopy (scope of the nasal passages) or a CT scan (cat scan) would both be logical next steps in the workup of this problem. As you mentioned, they are both quite costly and I understand if the line is being drawn.

Other causes of nosebleeds include clotting abnormalities of the blood. Has a clotting profile been done. Fungal cultures. Another thing to potentially try would be trying the cat on an antifungal drug. We don't know that there is a fungal disease there, but given the next steps may be out of reach financially, this would be something we could do to "treat the treatable." It could be done in conjunction with antibiotics and/ or antiinflammatories as well.

Sorry, this is a frustrating case for you. The expensive tests are the best way to go, but I don't think you are doing a horrible thing if you elect to try to be more conservative and keep the cat comfortable for as long as possible.

Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns.

Dr. Tad
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is l lysine (ensifyl) an anti-fungal? We tried that also.
Expert:  Dr. Tad replied 6 years ago.
l-lysine is not an anti fungal. It is a non specific supporter of the immune system which is used to help treat viral upper respiratory infections in cats (herpes, etc). It doesn't sound like you have used any antifungals.