Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

can cats bring in from outdoors tiny black mites that bite

can cats bring in from outdoors tiny black mites that bite humans?
Hello there,

What do the mites look like?

Are there any on the cat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The mites are black and almost too small to see, like a grain of salt.

I have not looked closely at the cat, because i am only now coming to conclusion that she may be bringing them in (and i am at work).

She has been very actively catching mice and now appears to be eating them (from what i have seen) and also caught a bird once.

The black mites are biting me; tiny, tiny speck - tremendously painful bite.

I give her Frontline Top Spot for fleas and she does not appear to be scratching.

I would suspect the insects are coming in on the cat. They may be harvest mites, chiggers or lice. Frontline will not kill them. I would have your vet examine one of the bugs under the microscope to identify exactly what you are dealing with. The cat may need a medicated shampoo or ivermectin injection if she has any on her. You may also need to spray the house. I would vacuum very thoroughly and then use a Virbac spray or fogger. Here is an example:
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Are lice the same as mites? Lastly, do "ear mites" bite humans?

Ear mites are microscopic and will not get onto humans. Lice and skin mites are two different things. There are several species of each. Some are very small.