CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

the cat is throwing up blood. there are clots in the blood

the cat is throwing up blood. there are clots in the blood she threw up three times in last 10 hours.
Thank you for your post!

With the degree of vomiting and character of the vomit (blood...) you are reporting I must be honest and say that I am very concerned.

Of course there are many causes for vomiting in a cat, infectious causes (such as worms, parasites, bacteria), metabolic causes (kidney, liver, etc.) and even causes such as an intestinal blockage - these are not only concerning themselves, but we also worry about the consequences of vomiting this often such as severe dehydration.

I would really recommend seeing a veterinarian for evaluation, the local ER if your family veterinarian is not open.

Tests such as bloodwork and x-rays will likely be considered.
Fluids for hydration and even medications (injectable) for nausea can be given - but with the history of vomiting this many times and with blood in the vomit, we really should make sure this is not serious as soon as possible!

I hope the above information helps and guides you.

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.