Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 20 year cat is peeing in her sleep, she is otherwise good

My 20 year cat is peeing in her sleep, she is otherwise good with litter box but she is having accident more often. She doesn't see or hear very well and her back is all arhed up (guessing arthritis) Should I have her put to sleep...my husband really hates her messing up the house (peeing on beds and sofa)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

I am very sorry to hear your little one is battling some tough conditions. Certainly as our pets age, we are often faced with making a quality of life decision for them. This is a conversation that I have had with many clients and unfortunately it is not always a black and white decision.

The urinating where she sleeps, that could be very much related to a primary urinary issue. She could have a situation that is physically causing her to make more urine and that causes her to leak at night. I would have your vet get a chance to look her over and to help see if we can find a primary cause - chronic renal failure, urinary tract infection, and diabetes would be ones that I'd be suspicious of. Could she have urethral incontinence? We see this in dogs more than cats, but there are medications that can help with it too.

I hope this helps. But let me know if you have further questions or if I can clarify anything for you. Again I know this is a tough position to be in. I'm sure you will be asking yourself almost daily if your little one is okay or not... whether you are doing the right thing. But as long as she is eating and seems comfortable and is getting around then I think you are doing the right thing. We just need to keep you and your husbands quality of life good too.

Edited by Dr. Bruce on 12/2/2009 at 5:23 PM EST
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
her son died in august of kidney failure he was 19 years old and i know that there is nothing the vet can do for the renal failure and afterall the cat is 20 years old, but i just thoought that it might be kinder to put her down. Can you tell me is they experience any pain with the renal failure?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
Most of the time with renal failure, it is a run down feeling where they progressively feel weaker and weaker as their bodies get dehydrated and the bad products build up in their body. With chronic renal failure, there isn't anything that can specifically cure it. There are diets and products that can help to slow its progression. 20 is a very old cat. But, I've seen numerous ones live longer. The oldest I've ever had the pleasure of treating was 24. You and your husband are the ones that see how she's doing at home. If you feel that her quality of life isn't good, then that decision is one that may need to be made.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian