Dr John
Dr John, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of companion animal veterinary experience, Interests: Surgery, Laser, Therapy, Nutrition.
25022804

my cat had maggots on his butt a few months ago and when I

Customer Question

my cat had maggots on his butt a few months ago and when I brought him to the Vets he was cleared of them on the outside I had been washing the area with proxide and warm water but I fear he has them on the inside and the Vet did absolutally nothing no meds or nothing I wash him everyday and he smells like death. I really believe he is being eaten from the inside out can I give him amoxicilin
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr John replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer,

How old is this kitten now?

Where on the body does the smell come from? or is it all over?

Is the cat eating? drinking? growing?

Drjohnw
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He is about 11years Not real sure

His peepee that wont heal open sores

Yes he is eating and drinking and going to the catbox but he just pees all the time

Expert:  Dr John replied 7 years ago.
Interesting...

To answer your original question about Amoxicillin: I don't have a problem with you trying the amoxi at 10 mg/kg of cat, HOWEVER. with this 'peeing' issue I would be concerned about a bladder or kidney infection.

Now considering that he had maggots up his rear recently the possibility of nerve damage is very high. Maggots need oxygen themselves but only eat dead -devitalized flesh and tissue. So it is very unlikely that they could be up inside him...the cat would be very very sick and the maggots could not stay there...they need the oxygen and then would be hatching out into live flies anyway, which you would then see.

The odor is likely coming from the urine and the open sore. This cat really should have a vet examine the rectum, the penis and neurological function of the entire back end...looking for poor nerve function which I would suspect from those maggots.

Also I would suspect he is licking/grooming his penis and that is because it is dripping urine/pee. This is then most certainly a nerve defect. Yes there are some medications that can be prescribed and tried that will improve his ability to hold his urine and not dribble.

Best of health and success to you and your cat.

drjohnw
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I take Flor-Essence tea and it says I can give it to my pets do you think that would help The Vet charged me $350 for no service I can't afford to take hom back to that Vet right now
Expert:  Dr John replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome,

I would not give this tea to the cat...any thing that may make him pee more will not help and even the smallest amount of caffine or diuretics in a tea could be a problem.

Just be upfront and complete with the vet: (or find another vet) ask about using:

Bethanacol, or phenylpropanolamine for the urine dripping. These medications are actually like doing testing anyway...as you won't know if they help unless you try 1 or the other or both.

drjohn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You