Dr. Romy Core
Dr. Romy Core, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years veterinary small animal practice experience and owns a solo veterinary practice
23997063

Please help me, My kitten, 6 weeks old. His breathing rate

Please help me,

My kitten, 6 weeks old. His breathing rate is about 55 per minute. And he is using his abdominal mm to breathe. He doesnt like to play at all, not even with my fingers..and likes to be cuddle a lot. He likes to lie down and sleep. He is quite alert when he is not sleeping but he just dont want to play. He usually responds when we call. His appetite is ok and he pees often and poops once a day/ once in 2 days.

Few days ago, he fell down from the chair and has been limping and looks like his left leg is twisted outward. But he can put some pressure on it and now it is getting better. I went to the vet and the vet told me he's going to be OK in 10 days. But the doctor didn't even palpate or auscultate the cat! It looks like he just assume that the kitten is gonna be ok because he walks better than the day he fell down!.

My question:
Will he grows up with a defect of his legs?

Whats wrong with his breathing. Why is he using his abdomen to breathe?

Please help!.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Romy Core replied 4 years ago.
Hi there. Let me see if I can help.

Do you know what injection they gave your kitten?
What exactly did your vet do to examine the kittens leg?
How many days ago did you go the vet?

Edited by Dr. Romy Core on 11/26/2009 at 5:46 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think they gave him Penicillin. Its yellow-orangish in color. The vet didnt do anything. He just looked at the way he walks and then told me he's gonna be ok. (Even though he is limping and his leg is twisted outward). He asked whether his appetite is ok. I went to the vet 2 days ago. The kitten fell down 6 days ago. The vet told me he cant do an Xray for the kitten because he is still small. (The kitten birthday is XXXXX October 2009). So approximately he is 6 weeks now.

Okay, I forgot one vital thing. He prescribed some Penicillin tablets which is to be bought in the Pharmacy. I wrote it down but during classes, someone stole money (which is folded together with the prescription) from my jacket in the cloakroom and now I lost the prescription. Will my kitten be in trouble? I already forgot the dose of the Penicillin tablet and how many times should be given a day.
Okay. Thanks for the info.

If your vet did not overly examine the leg, I hope that is due to the fact that he was relatively certain it was not broken. It may have been a mild sprain of some ligaments or tendons that is causing the leg to twist as you mention. If there is no substantial swelling and your kitten is willing to walk on the leg, it probably is not broken.

Respiratory infections are very common in young kittens, and I wonder if that may be what is brewing now in your little fella. The leg injury could have taxed his immune system a little, so the upper respiratory infection had a chance to dig in. Sneezing, eye discharge, fever, nasal discharge, and decrease in appetite are some of the symptoms of this, but there may be only one symptom or they may have all of them. This would be a good time to get the antibiotic going. Call your vet to simply get a repeat of that prescription. Keep your kitten's nose clear and stick to smelly, fishy foods to stimulate his appetite.

I hope this helps and that your little guy feels better very soon.
Dr. Romy Core, Veterinarian
Experience: 6 years veterinary small animal practice experience and owns a solo veterinary practice