Dr. Emmy
Dr. Emmy, Veterinarian
Experience:  14+ years experience in dog and cat veterinary care. I would LOVE to assist you today!

My cat is acting strange. He is over-salivating and acting

My cat is acting strange. He is over-salivating and acting like something is bothering the inside of his mouth, hypoactive, he naturally has a weepy eye, but it is extra weepy because he is not grooming himself. He has not been eating, and has lost weight. My main concern is the over salivation and the hypoactivity. He just wants to sleep. I live in AZ, so I don't know if he might have eaten a bug that he shouldn't have eaten. How do cats react if they eat scorpions??
Hello. May I have more information, please? 1. How long has your kitty been hypersalivating? 2. Is he on any flea/tick or heartworm medication, if so what brands? 3. Is he indoor/outdoor? 4. Is he neutered? 5. What color is the weeping from his eye? Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I noticed the hypersalivation this morning when I woke up. He had some brown substance around his mouth, which made me think he had just eaten. I didn't think too much of it until I got home about 10 later, and he was salivating on the bed sheets. He is not on any heartworm meds. He is an indoor cat and occassionally goes outside with supervision, but has not been outside in weeks. He is neutered. Ocular discharge is red/brown in color.

Without examining him I cannot say for sure, but reading your emails makes me believe he is in need of an exam by a veterinarian very soon. Common causes for drooling in cats are: oral pain, nausea, and foreign body ingestion. The vet would look into his mouth for sores, ulcerations, broken teeth, sensitive teeth, and foreign objects in the mouth or under the tongue. They would then evaluate his hydration status and feel his belly for pain or sensitivity. If he has not been eating and has lost weight, it sounds more chronic than just eating an insect, etc. Please see your veterinarian for an exam as soon as possible, as with cats who do not eat, they can develop "fatty liver" which is a disease they get from not eating enough and it can be deadly. I hope you find this helpful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can I wait until tomorrow to take him in, or do I need to take him in tonight?

Is he interested in food at all? When is the last time he ate?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he's interested...he just doesn't seem like he can eat it, probably the oral pain. I saw him eat yesterday, but I haven't been around enough today to see if he ate. I can offer him some soft food and see if he can lick it, just to get some nutrition.
Sounds good. Get him to the vet as soon as you can tomorrow morning as long as he's still eating tonight. You can try some jars of human baby food chicken or turkey flavor. Good Luck!!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you! he is eating the minced cat food. Seems easy for him to lick it. I'll keep an eye on him tonight and get him in tomorrow morning. Thanks again!!