Experience:  dasdasd

my cat keep scratching his fur off to the point it is bleeding.

my cat keep scratching his fur off to the point it is bleeding. We have tried everything you can name for fleas. She still eates, drinks but doesn't go to the bathroom alot. She also stays in one area, or room in the house and will not come out, even if you try to carry her out as soon as you put her down she runs back to the room to hide. She has lost some weight and is losing some of her fur.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 6 years ago.
Did you use Advantage or K9 Advantix?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We used Advantage, the stuff we rubbed into her shoulder blades. We got it from Pet Smart I think.
Expert:  brisadog replied 6 years ago.

I recommend getting another topical product from your vet. Advantage normally works, but you can try Frontline or Revolution. Make sure you apply it as directed. You part her fur so that you can see her skin, then apply the entire contents of the tube directly to the skin. DO NOT rub it in, and do not apply it to the fur.

You need to your kitty with Frontline for the next 4 consecutive months (one treatment every 30 days). Then allow her to move freely around your home. There are probably a few flea eggs and larvae in your environment. You can vacuum and wash bedding, but this isn't very effective. You need to wait for the fleas complete their life cycle into adulthood and jump on your cat, then they die because your cat is treated with Frontline.

It is, unfortunately, a long time to wait. Short of hiring a professional company to come treat your home with a dessicant powder, this is the way to clean house.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

But why won't she walk around the house? We are not leaving her in one room she is finding a place to hide and staying there. Also, she is loosing weight is that normal for a cat with a flea problem.

Expert:  brisadog replied 6 years ago.

I think she's just having an extreme reaction to a flea allergy. If you are worried that it is something more serious, I recommend taking her to your vet for a physical and some bloodwork.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please hit the green accept button. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could she die from an extreme flea allergy?
Expert:  brisadog replied 6 years ago.

No, flea allergies cause severe itching, and she can develop serious skin damage and secondary infections...but I have never seen a cat die from flea allergies.

Kittens however, can lose enough blood from fleas (causing anemia) to weaken and die.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is the best flea brand to use?
Expert:  brisadog replied 6 years ago.
I find Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution equal.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Could she have psychology issues?

Expert:  brisadog replied 6 years ago.
She may, but you will not be able to determine that until she has the flea issue resolved. If it continues after the fleas are eliminated, you can address that possibility then.