Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My cat is throwing up light pink blood

My cat is throwing up light pink blood
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.

We can see episodes of bloody vomiting with an inflamed esophagus, irritable bowel disease, a foreign body ingestion, pancreatitis, toxicity, or even cancer (unlikely in such a young cat).

I recommend taking him to the vet for evaluation. I would perform a physical exam, bloodwork, and xray or ultrasound of his abdomen. Bring a fecal sample if you are able also. After this, hopefully your vet will have a diagnosis and be able to begin treatment.

I hope this helps you know what to expect. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please hit the green accept button. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Thanks and good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I may have found a source of him being sick. I colored my hair today and some of the dye was left in the tub. He likes to drink from the tub after we wash. I just neglected to rinse it out well today. I think this may be the culprit. Is there anything I need to particularly watch for if this is the case? Can I watch him tonight and take him in tomorrow or do you think I should seek immediate care? Thank you, Darlene
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.

Depending on the chemicals in the dye, it may be poisonous. It will depend greatly on the amount which he ingested...which we can't know.

If he has a decreased appetite, acts depressed or lethargic, I would be concerned. You can call animal poison control about the specific chemicals (I do not have access to any resource that in depth). The phone number is (888)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>, but they charge you $60 up front.

I'm sorry I don't have more specific information! Please let me know if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please hit the green accept button. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Thanks and good luck.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics