Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

my cats tongue is hanging out and there is extreme saliva

my cat's tongue is hanging out and there is extreme saliva coming from his mouth. He seems okay. No stomach tenderness, balance is okay...I don't have the $ to take to an emergency facility...what do you think it is?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. How long has this been going on for? What color are his gums? Is there anything toxic around the house he could have gotten into? Any bugs, frogs or lizards he could have eaten? Check his mouth. Are there any sores or anything stuck between his teeth, on th roof of his mouth or under his tongue? Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is not being too cooperative...He has black gums...the inside of his mouth is pink...his tongue is pink....He won't let me lift his tongue...his bottom left tooth is missing....it wasn't missing before....I just noiced it when I got home from work....His fur on his front paws, tail and chest is sticky from the saliva...he also has bad breath
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Just one more question. Is there any blood in his salivation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No....It is really thick though.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. The excess salivation and may be due to a fractured tooth, considering that there is a canine tooth missing where you have not noticed it missing before. Other possibilities include toxin exposure, eating a frog, lizard or bug; foreign body stuck in the mouth, stomatitis, ginivitis, dental disease, kidney problems, liver problems, pancreatic problems or a gastrointestinal foreign body obstruction. If he is panting, that is not generally a good sign in cats. My best advice to you would be to rinse his mouth out with some water for a couple minutes. You can use a water hose with a gentle spray, a water faucet sprayer or a cup with some water. Make sure his nose is pointed down for all of these, so you don't drown him. If you can see a foreign body in his mouth anywhere, you may be able to pull it out. If the panting or excessive salivation continues, veterinary attention would be needed as soon as possible. Like I said, panting in cats is not generally a good sign and usually requires immediate veterinary care. Besides rinsing his mouth out, there is not much else you can do for him at home. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you so much...thank God he is not panting....I will take him to the Vet tomorrow in the AM....thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome. Glad I could help. The tongue hanging out, if not panting, may be related to pain from a fractured tooth.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience