Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal vet and I see mostly dogs and cats and an occasional exotic pet, pig and goat.

How can I tell if my cat has a fever, without a thermometer?

How can I tell if my cat has a fever, without a thermometer? She has stopped eating and drinking.

It's difficult to tell if your cat has a fever without a thermometer. A cats normal temperature is higher than ours so sometimes they may feel like they have a fever even when the temperature is normal. If she feels much warmer than she usually does to you then her temperature may be high. Also, if she is shivering it could indicate a fever too. There is no way to tell for sure without the thermometer.

If she has stopped eating and drinking, you should get her to the vet because dehydration and fatty liver syndrome (happens when cats stop eating - causes liver problems) become factors that need to be dealt with. You can try force feeding her some pedialyte and some tuna water or unsalted/unseasoned/non-greasy chicken broth. Give her small amounts of both frequently but if she starts to vomit or gets any worse definitely get her to the vet asap. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She has gotten worse since this morning.

Then I think you should get her to a vet to be on the safe side. If you can't get her to one today, keep her in a dark, quiet area and keep her warm if she is cold. Try to get some fluids into her too.