Dr. JD
Dr. JD, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  15+ years practice experience as a cat/dog veterinarian- special interest in behavior

My cats ear was pink on the inside near the tip - about a

My cat's ear was pink on the inside near the tip - about a third of the ear. It just happened to be time for her yearly checkup and the vet said maybe she scratched herself and gave me topical antibiotic to put on it just in case. I used it a few times but because it seemed better and it was a struggle to get it on the ear I stopped. She is on Revolution. The ear has never bothered her. I have never seen her touch or scratch it and she is perfectly happy with no unusual behavior. BUT---now it's been about 2 weeks and it looks as if she's lost the hair on the outside of that ear. What could it be?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

IF it's been 2 weeks and the medication your vet prescribed hasn't helped, I would definitely have it rechecked.

Common causes of what you are seeing include fungal infections like ringworm, bacterial infections, allergies, mites, fly strike, autoimmune diseases, and even some kinds of skin cancer. There's really nothing you can use over the counter until you figure out what the cause is.

Your vet can do tests such as a skin scrape to rule out mites, a fungal culture to rule out ringworm, or even a biopsy to rule out autoimmune diseases or cancer.

I hope this is helpful and gives you an idea of the possiblities.
BEst of luck!