FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery, including emergency medicine

How do you know if your cat has a bowel obstruction or just

Customer Question

How do you know if your cat has a bowel obstruction or just an intestinal illness?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  FamilyPetDoctor replied 6 years ago.

Sometimes you can't tell without doing an exploratory surgery....

But if he has eaten anything and kept it down, that is a really good sign that it may not be an obstruction.

Keep giving him the fluids..... good hydration can make the intestines work their best and I've been able to help things pass just by doing good fluid therapy and thereby avoiding surgery.

His vitals are normal... normal temp, etc.

I cannot tell if it is inflammation versus an obstruction with only a history... but I"m with you, if he's eating a little and drinking, then keep giving the fluids and tuna. Don't force him to eat though....this can cause them to avoid food if you force them when they are nauseous.

I hope that this info helps...
Dr C

Best of luck to you...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How long do you think I should wait? I do not want him to get severly dehydrated? My mother suggested to give the cat alittle bit of plain pedialyte to keep him hydrated & to keep his electrolytes in him. Is this good or bad? How long should I keep giving the mineral oil? any other suggestions. I just do not want to wait to long and have my cat suffer, then have to put him down anyway.

Pedialyte is fine to give if you can. I wouldn't wait more than 24 hours-- I wouldn't keep giving the mineral oil-- it's not going to help the bowel function or lube up the possible obstruction.

If he is vomiting, you can try giving him 5 mg of Pepcid AC twice a day.

Hopefully this helps....

Dr C