Dr. P
Dr. P, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years small animal private practice & emergency.

My cat is not drinking water, acting sluggish, sleeping in

My cat is not drinking water, acting sluggish, sleeping in the same spots, and has less trips to the litter box. Seeing as though I cannot afford to take him in-is there anything I can do via holistic remedy or over the counter drugs?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. P replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

I am sorry that your cat isn't feeling well. I see that he is 5 years old. Can you answer a few more questions so that I may better help you?

Does he go outdoors?

Is he limping at all?

Is there any sneezing or runny nose?

Is he eating at all?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no to outdoors
walking very slow, and not as spry as usual
dry nose
little eating-same with water
Expert:  Dr. P replied 6 years ago.
Ok, well my best guess would be that he has a fever. Make sure to watch for signs of sneezing or coughing. Many early respiratory viruses will start with just a fever. The best thing you can do is get fluids into him. Offer him tuna juice, chicken broth and canned food. If you have to, force some fluids into his mouth periodically. The biggest danger is dehydration and I have had people's pets die from that. Use a dose syringe or medicine dropper to force water or broth into his mouth if he will let you and if he doens't improve try to find someone to take a look at him. Sometimes humane societies will offer discount visits. You could call and ask.

I hope this helps you some!

Dr. P