Dr. K
Dr. K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

how can I keep my male cat from scratching an open wound

Customer Question

how can I keep my male cat from scratching an open wound?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.

Where is the wound located?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
on his right shoulder, almost on his neck
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
That is a very difficult spot to stop them from scratching at. If the wound has been there for awhile, then it is likely itchy because there may be an infection. The best thing to do for him, if you have not done so already, is to have him into the vet to have this wound clipped, cleaned and treated. He may need to be on an antibiotic to stop the itchiness. Most animals will not scratch at wounds that are healing well and are uninfected.

Unfortunately, this spot cannot be kept safe with the use of an e-collar. The collar would likely just be right on top of the wound and irritate it.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He has had a grape-size lump (under the skin) for a long time. I have felt it daily....I am guessing it must have begun to bother him because this morning, he had scratched it open and there was some blood...not much...just enough to redden the hair around the area. I took him to a vet today and he has him on pill-form antibiotics for a week. He does not scratch it all the time, but I do not know what I can apply to his: back foot or the wound itself.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
A wound can have some neosporin put on it. This may be enough to soothe the wound so that he does not continue to scratch at it. If this doesn't help, then the vet will need to cover the area with an appropriate bandage.

For how lon ghas this lump been under his skin?

Has it been getting bigger?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr K. you were quite helpful...thank you for replying to my question. I will apply neosporin tonight.