Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

how can i lower my cats fever and keep him hydrated

how can i lower my cats fever and keep him hydrated?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.

What is his body temperature? You can use a digital thermometer and take a rectal temp.
What antibiotic is he on?
What other signs does he have- sneezing, nasal discharge, vomiting, diarrhea?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he's has a fever of 103.5 and he's on Baytrill,clavamox, and buprenex for pain due to a dog bite, he has no nasal discharge, nor vomiting or diarrhea. ears are warm,he's lacks energy :o)
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks,

The fever is there for a reason, to help fight off infection and as an inflammatory response to the wounds. Active cooling with ice/ cold compresses will not change the fact that his set point temperature is 103-104. It will only lower the temp and make his body have to work harder to get up to that set point. This can make them more lethargic and actually makes them worse, so we don't recommend active cooling measures in cases of fever unless the temp gets > 106 where there can be organ damage.

What I would do is call your vet in the morning and ask about possibly a couple doses of Metacam. This is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication that will help blunt that inflammatory cascade and lower the set point temperature in the body. Usually within a couple hours of giving it the temp is down to normal and they are less lethargic.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Doctor, today i went to my vet and i told him about my cats fevers, he was telling me the same thing u told me about how it's a way to fight infection. i ask him about metacam just out of luck he gave a small bottle of it give to my cat and it work.....also one thing beside pedialyte what else i can give my cat to stay hydrateded? since the fevers will be like on and off...let me know

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
Outside of Pedialyte, you can give Gatorade as it also has electrolytes and canned food as it's higher in calories and water content.
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)