Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

My cat suddenly is having trouble walking and issues with balance.

Customer Question

My cat suddenly is having trouble walking and issues with balance. I took him to the vet right away and all of his blood work came back normal. The vet had injected him with Depo-Medrol and wants to give it a few days to see if he improves. Is this alright? Should I be doing more? It is breaking my heart to see my cat in this condition. He is only 5 yrs old and has always been robust & healthy before yesterday.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

Does the cat go outside?

Are the eyes twitching back and forth?

Is the cat eating?

Does the cat have a head tilt?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello. He is an indoor cat. His eyes seem fine as checked out by the vet. He has eaten a little bit and used the litter box to urinate today. He hasn't drank any water that I am aware of. I'm not sure what you mean by head tilt...but, his head seems normal to me.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Is his head cocked to one side or the other?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No...he is holding it up normally. He seems otherwise normal on all accounts, although afraid
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Loss of balance is caused by peripheral nerve damage, inner ear infections or brain problems. The Depo is a steroidal anti-inflammatory that can reduce swelling in the brain and peripheral nerves. I would have the cat on an oral antibiotic to rule out an inner ear infection. These are usually diagnosed with radiographs of the skull. Clavamox is the antibiotic usually used. If the cat does not respond to the Depo within a few days, I would get the cat on antibiotics and possibly get the skull radiographed. I usually give these cats an injection of ivermectin as a parasite is suspected in causing these signs at certain times of the year. If still no improvement, I would have a sample of spinal fluid sent off to the lab to rule out infection in the brain.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I had read several similar stories online where no improvement or remedy was offered. Do you think that this can be resolved. Do you have experince with similar cases?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
If there is not a brain tumor, it should be able to be corrected. In a cat this age, brain tumors are not common but possible. If there is an infectious or inflammatory cause, oral medicaton should correct it. It may take several weeks to see complete improvement.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Scott.

As you can imagine, my cat is very special to me and I was hoping for some encouraging information.

Thank you for the hope...I guess I will have to wait it out and just give him lots of love.

He seems so scared and it has been very difficult so far. Again, thanks for your assistance

Ellen Koby

Huntington Beach, CA

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome and good luck. Make sure the cat eats and drinks and help him if needed.