Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

Is there something I can give my cat to relax him or tranquilize

Customer Question

Is there something I can give my cat to relax him or tranquilize him for a car ride? I am planning to move accross country and the trip will take about three or four days of driving (10 hours a day, roughly). He "cries" when I take him short distances in the car, and I'd like to give him something to tranquilize him, and help him stay calm.
Submitted: 7 years ago via KittenCare.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

The only things to try OTC are Benadryl at 1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed or Dramamine at 12.5 mg every 8-12 hours as needed. They don't cause sedation in all cats. The alternative is acepromazine from your vet which is a heavy sedative.