CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my cat has been winking one eye. is this a sign of something

my cat has been winking one eye. is this a sign of something serious?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

Is this cat an indoor only cat?

Any other cats in the house?

Is the eye red?

Is there discharge from the eye?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is an indoor only cat with no other pets to share our home with. The eye is not red. She is a sealpoint siamese with beautiful sapphire eyes that are outlined in white. I worry about her a great deal even though, except for pneumonia when she was a year old, she is extremely healthy.
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

Regarding the eye - and based on your description, the most likely causes I would think of in this case:

- Eye inflammation (conjuntivitis)
- Eye infection
- Corneal ulcer

Less likely based on your history (but I can NOT rule these out):
- Tear formation problem
- Uveitis (inflammation)
- Glaucoma
- etc

When I am presented with a case such as this, tests that I would consider include:
- Using a special test to see if the tear production is normal (Schirmer)
- Using a special test to see if there is corneal damage (Fluoroscein)
- Measuring the pressure in the eye to test for glaucoma
- Looking into the eye with a light and a special lens to look at the retina

One option you can try at hime is to lubricate and flush the eye with saline solution. You can go to your local grocery store and purchase this - usually found in the contact lens section. You can flush the eyes 2-3 times per day.

But - If this does not resolve - or it looks worse - I do think it will be a good idea for your veterinarian (or the local ER veterinarian) to take a look and rule out more serious causes and prescribe safe and effective treatment such as antibotics if needed!

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist