Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My cat has not had a bowel movement in about 48 hours. His

My cat has not had a bowel movement in about 48 hours. His anus is bright red. No blood was seen in any stools previously. He is eating ok and drinking water.
Max is 16 years old and always been extremely healthy. I think he is constipated.
What do you think?
He is indoor,outdoor.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In direct answer to your question : From your description constipation would be one of a range of possibilities, if in doubt you should have your vet check your cat out.

However some owners try oral remedies such mineral oil { liquid paraffin } when their cats are constipated, this is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your cat's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate would be around 2ml orally twice a day, a small syringe which you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be useful to administer it.

But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the cat, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it should respond to the above treatment.

But elderly cats can often appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel or diseases causing stasis of the bowel. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having your vat check your cat over as further tests such as X-ray may be needed to try to come to some diagnosis as to why your cat appears constipated.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS