Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

My cat has not pooped in 2 days, he rarely walks around and

My cat has not pooped in 2 days, he rarely walks around and when he does he seems very uncomfortable and walks funny, like arched back, back legs kinda bowed. He isnt eating much, but a little. Has peed and drank a little water. His bottom feels hot to the touch. He isnt acting his normal self, I am worried. Is this constipation maybe? And what can I do?

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and your cat but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Is he indoors only or does he go outside?

Is he spending time in the litterbox posturing to defecate?

What percentage of normal is he eating (75%? 50%? other?)?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is only indoor cat. He isnt spending time in litterbox, just to pee. He doesnt seem to want to move around at ALL otherwise. He is eating about 50% I guess. Usually I can put food in the bowl in the morning, go to work for 12 hrs and when I get home its almost all gone...hardly any gone yesterday. Didnt eat all his wet food this morning either.
Usually with constipation, cats will spend extra time in the box, straining to have a bowel movement. Also, you have mentioned that his bottom feels hot, and that does not fit with constipation.

Does his anus look swollen?

Any chance you have a rectal thermometer and could check his temp?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont have a thermometer actually, it just broke last week. Anus doesnt seem swollen, no.

any vomiting?

any coughing or sneezing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, none of that. It is weird I know.
It is weird!

In the last 6 months or so, any weight loss?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, not at all. He seemed ok this weekend. He isnt acting normal self at all, walks weird and definitely seems uncomfortable, just lays around

And is he holding his tail down, or up like normal?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hmmm...mostly normal I think.....maybe down a bit
Is he jumping up on things as normal - couch, window ledge, counters, etc?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, he isn't. He wanted to lay on the couch as usual next to me last night but didnt want to jump up there so we helped him. He jumped on bed once last night, but never did again as usually does. His legs seems fine to touch.
A-HA!! Ok, that was really helpful!!

Ok... it is really hard to know what could be going on with your boy. I am not convinced that it is a problem with constipation because:

- he is not trying to defecate
- he does not look swollen around the anus
- he is walking strangely (not common with constipation)

Instead, this abnormal walking and refusal to jump up that you are describing suggests to me that he may have some back pain or pelvic pain. Cats can have back pain due to a “slipped disc” though that is not very common. I see it about 1000 times more often in dogs.

Instead, with what you are describing, I am very worried that your boy may have a fractured pelvis. I have seen this in indoor cats who fall down off something in a “sitting position” where they are falling bum-first. This is the one position from which a cat will not correct his fall. He will just fall straight onto his pelvis.

Cats with a fractured pelvis often move very gingerly, holding themselves low to the floor and preferring to stay close to walls for support. A fractured pelvis can cause a lot of internal bleeding as their are many blood vessels in the area. This internal bleeding can lead to shock, which can be life threatening.

Unfortunately, there are no pain killers that you might have in your medicine cabinet that would be safe to give to a cat. Tylenol is very toxic to cats! And ibuprofen and aspirin are also toxic to them.

Here is more about these drugs:

With a fractured pelvis, there can also be a tail injury. There may be nerve damage which can affect the cat's ability to urinate OR defecate. This would need to be assessed by a veterinarian. I really am very concerned that this is what is wrong with your boy from your description.

More information on pelvic fractures:

and information on tail injuries:

Unfortunately, I have seen this type of injury many times with cats that have been hit by a car or slipped off a table (with a table cloth on it or a dresser with a cloth on it) and falled straight down on to the pelvis.

I really would recommend a check up with your vet to see if this is what is going on. If it is, your boy may well improve over a couple of months of STRICT rest (keeping him confined to a dog crate). But I feel that he should have a check up as I am very suspicious that this is what is going on!

I do hope that your cat feels better soon!

If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes, Fiona