Dr. Jamie
Dr. Jamie, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 9 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.

is camphor, eucalyptus, menthol harmful to cats My 8-yr old

is camphor, eucalyptus, menthol harmful to cats? My 8-yr old male is FeLeuk positive and we've had many trips to the vet in the past 6 weeks. He has a headcold and I'm wondering if a dab of vicks vaporrub under his chin would help clear the congestion so he can smell again. We're reduced to forcefeeding him Gerber's Lamb (baby food) through a syringe. He's obviously hungry, but nothing appeals.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 7 years ago.
It may help for a short time.The only ingredient that may be toxic if ingested in high enough amounts is camphor. It does cause seizures in people. But I would doubt he would be able to ingest much with a small dab on his chin.
Taking into the bathroom while someone is taking a warm shower to allow him to breath in the steam may help.
Occasionally, cats will tolerate local instillation of saline drops to the nasal cavity. This stimulates a sneeze response and encourages evacuation of mucus.
One thing thing that I have had sucess with is putting Gentamycin antibiotic EYE drops into the nose. The infection seems to clear up quicker.
Also the amino acid, lysine, can be used as an anti-viral agent at 500 mg twice daily by mouth. This amino acid replaces arginine in viral proteins rendering them nonfunctional and thereby reducing viral replication. Lysine therapy is generally safe to use in young or older animals. You can find this at most drug stores or your vet may have it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Your answer is helpful, and I've "accepted" it. However I don't wish to replenish my account, as I don't have any further questions. I hope this doesn't interfere with my acceptance and payment to you.
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 7 years ago.
You will need to press the "ACEPPT" button for me to get credit for my answer to you. This will use your deposit, but should not require furthur payment.