CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

comparison of clindamycin and baytril for early fus

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

In the past, have urine samples been obtained before using Baytril or has this been empirical therapy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

has always been empirical....worked well. also i have read that diazepam helps be relaxing smooth muscle.

If this vet becomes too aggressive in her "rx options".....any other drugs that might be used? SMZ?, Cephalexin?

Hi there,

Based on clincal studies - feline UTI's at this age occur less than 5% of the time - and therefore, antibiotic therapy is normally not recommended unless a urine culture is performed.

Regarding feline urethral spasm - medications such as Prazocin or Phenoxybenzamine can be considered.

As far as homeopathic options - cranberry is an option - used in women for chronic infections for pH alteration of the urine. At times it has been used, with the recommendation... of course - attack the underlying cause!

As far as dosing is concerned:
Dried extract: 20mg/kg, divided daily
Juice: 1mL/kg per day, divided daily (may be diluted and added to food); use low-sugar products and aim for highest juice concentrate possible

- Encouarged water/drinking is also recommended as the more dilute the urine is the better. Some cats even like the use of a kitty fountain such as THIS to encourage them to drink more water.

But - as indicated above - antibiotic therapy is normally not used in these cases unless a urine culture has been performed.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

in your opinion, since Baytril, used empirically, accomplished desired results...let us return to antibiotics I mentioned on a comparison basis. Also, if bladder is in beggining stage of infection, s might be the ureter...keep it in mind.

Cat drinks adequately, as I see him...huge water bowl in front of fireplace. I have also, 2 other cats and 2 rescue pappilons. all have gotten along well..very well.

Hi there,

Your concern is quite common...

The reason people believe antibiotics are effective is that a UTI with appropriate antibiotic therapy will work in 7-10 days.

Idiopathic sterile cystitis (click here) is a self-limiting inflammation (not infection) that will clear up on it's own in....7-10 days.

If this is a ureteral infection (not sure if you meant urethral), but ureteral - this would lead to a pyelonephritis and your cat would be VERY sick.

Based on statistics, there is less than a 5% chance, and some papers would say less than 2% this is a UTI based on age - and that it is MUCH more likely to be inflammatory and sterile.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I discussed this with another vet, regarding cosequin....she is my usual vet..not on today...you know how it is. Interesting (VERY) that you mentioned the idea of the self-limiting 7-10 day "goings-on"...as that is what my usual vet said. In view of that, plus otherwise normal behavior, would you suggest getting him in the am when they call? I did not agree to blood work...cat has problems he has lived with for years, as he was a stray...now living for 8 years in "the palace"...who knows age when he became mine/

All i want to know is, does my decision seem reasonable and sound to you? I am aware of pyelonephritis...I have a plastic ureter for that reason. Bear in mind, cat has no indication of pain....i did have one that did. Thank you for your time.

Hi there,

It would be great to have him evaluated in the morning when they call - feline cosequin is a common choice as well (aside from Phenoxybenzamine or Prazocin)

I hope this helps ;)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he is being evaluated overnight via....hoping to get urine sample. bladder was empty late this afternoon. if urine is negative for bacteria...is it wise to feel he is merely going through one of his ICS deals?
Absolutely!

(if there is any concern though, a sterile urine sample via cystocentesis should be obtained)

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist