CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My cats eye was scratched in a fight and I cannot afford to

My cat’s eye was scratched in a fight and I cannot afford to take him to the vet. I am considering treating him with Dexamethasone Ophthalmic Solution and Amoxicillin Oral Suspension, which I can buy online for 30.00 total. If this the correct course of action?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

NO NO NO - please - no Dexamethasone - if there is a scratch to the cornea - this is VERY dangerous to use.

The best medication for a cat would be the eye preparation of either Erythromycin or Terramycin - which are prescription.

You should purchase an E-Collar to prevent self-trauma by pawing or rubbing the face/eye.

Another recommendation is to try to warm compress the eye with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help with inflammation in the area.

The second recommendation is to try to flush the eye with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery story or drugstore as contact solution.

I hope this helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are there any options for treating the eye with an anti-inflammatory and/or pain-reduction treatment that do not require an Rx or trip to the Vet? It seems your recommendation is if I do not take him to the vet the best treatment is a warm compress and saline rinse; I would like to give him something more.

Hi there,

Unfortunately there are NO safe OTC anti-inflammatory medications for people...that can be used in cats.

I would NOT recommend aspirin, ibuprofen, or tylenol as examples as they can unfortunately have DEADLY side effects in cats.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist