Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

I have a female cat peeing blood. She is peeing like every

I have a female cat peeing blood. She is peeing like every five to ten minutes but it isn't very large amounts. I live in a very rural area where there are no vets in until Monday. I don't know what to do. I fear that she is in a lot of pain and I feel helpless. I just lost one cat a few weeks ago and I am not ready to lose another one. I just want to do something to ease the pain until I can get her to a vet. Please help!!!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 4 years ago.
<p>Hello, </p><p> </p><p>I am sorry that you and your cat are having to go through this tonight but short of an exam with a veterinarian, there is not much you can do.   As you suspected, there is a problem with her urinary system, and is no doubt causing her some discomfort. Cats can be affected by a condition called Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) which is the name given to a set of symptoms including straining to urinate, increased frequency of urination and bloody urine. The causes are varied and the age of the cat partly influences the likelihood of the cause. (ie older cats are more prone to bacterial infections than younger cats). Other common causes include bladder stones, crystals, tumors, and sometimes just inflammation from an unknown cause (more common in younger cats). Unfortunately, the all can show the same symptoms, no matter the cause and all are treated a little differently.</p><p> </p><p>Even though crystals and stones are a possibility, since you have a female cat there is less of a likelihood of her becoming obstructed and not being able to empty her bladder (like can occur in a male cat.) Even so, without veterinary intervention, there is not much you will be able to do for her. The best thing your can do is to encourage large amounts of water intake until you can get her in. DO NOT give her any human medicines for pain as they are not safe for her.</p><p> </p><p>I am attaching a client handout that better explains this frustrating disease of cats. Good luck and please let me know if you have any further questions.</p><p><a href="http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=611" target="_blank">FLUTD</a></p>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She seems to be straining to pee. She is peeing all through my house. I know that she can't help it so I am not getting upset with her. A few times that I have caught her she actually did not pee at all.

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 4 years ago.
<p>That is typicaly what they do. Probably, the reason she is not passing urine sometimes is because there is nothing in there for her to pass. If she is straining so frequently, she squeezes any little drop out as soon as she produces it. I can't tell you for certain she is not obstructed, but it is not at all common for females to obstruct and if she is passing some urine that is not likely and more likely that her bladder is just very irritated.</p><p> </p><p>Unfortunatly, there is nothing you have at home that will help. If it is a bacterial infection, she needs antibiotics. If it is a stone, it needs to be removed. It is possible (and likely) that there are no bacteria at all and it is a problem called interstitial cystitis. This is an inflammation without bacteria and for unknown reason. The good news is that many of these cats will improve on their own regardless of what treatment we provide. Usually we try to give them something for their discomfort until it resolves. It is not uncommon for their sysmptoms to return again later and can come and go periodically throughout their life.</p><p> </p>
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.