Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and Practice owner. 12+ years of practice

my cat scratches a lot and has raised, red bumps on her neck

my cat scratches a lot and has raised, red bumps on her neck . what could this be??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 7 years ago.
How old is you cat?
Does your cat go outside?
Are you using a flea product? is what kind?
Dr. JEff
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Cat is 4 years old. Is outside 90% of the time. We use monthly "frontline" flea treatment for cats. She has several red, raised bumps on the back of her neck and under her neck. Also has a few on her belly. She also regularly drags her butt on the carpet or bedspreads when she is inside. No worms or discharge noted either. Spends a LOT of time grooming and scratching.
The fact that you use frontline makes a flea allergy less likely but all it takes is one bite to ellicit a allergic response. It is more likely she is dealing with some other form of an allergy. This time of year is tough for the hay and grass allergies. A hypersensitivity reaction like an allergy in cats called eosinophillic granulomatous complex (quite a mouthful huh) is also a possibility. Many of these cats respond to antibiotic therapy but some need steroids to control some of the outbreaks. For now, you could try benedryl (diphenhydramine 1 mg/lb) daily, but if you do not see an improvement a trip to the vet may help in providing comfort.
The "butt dragging" is also likely related to the itch but the anal sacs could be full. That could also be addressed by your vet
I hope I have helped and given you direction

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what other symptoms could I look for for a hypersensitivity reaction? What dose of prednisolone would you recommend? Would you do a steroid taper? Do you have a suggestion on how to get a cat to take liquid medication?
Most of these cats present with multple pinpoint scabs that can occur around the face and neck but can extend all over the body. Some cats are itchy while some are not. Some even present with a mild fever. Prednisolone (with a taper) can work for these cats but I will not recommend it at this time without a physical exam or a doctor, patient, client relationship. There are certainly other things possible (flea allergies, stress licking, other external parasites) here and would not be in the best interest of your cat to use this medication until seen. Liquid meds can be mixed with food or your could syringe directly into the mouth.
I hope I have helped
Good Luck
Dr. Jeff