Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My cat has a fang tooth that sticks out of his mouth, but it

My cat has a fang tooth that sticks out of his mouth, but it seems to be growing longer. Is this possible, or am I imagining things? IF it is possible, is is a problem (other than making him look silly?)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
You are probably observing a phenomenon we see in older cats, where the tooth is actually pushed out by bone growth in the root socket of the jawbone. This often occurs secondary to periodontal infection around the tooth, but we're not really sure why it happens. In many cases, the tooth should probably be extracted, since we think it may be a source of pain (and infection).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this infection something that would make him have bad breath? It is usually pretty bad except right after he eats. It has been that way since he was little though, and he is very friendly and loving, so I can't tell if he is in pain from this.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Yes, a periodontal infection could certainly cause bad breath in a cat, just like in a human. I would suggest having your veterinarian take a look and ideally, an oral x-ray (just like when we go to the dentist). That will allow for proper diagnosis.

If the vet doesn't have the ability to take oral x-rays, you may want to find one who can.

Cats are great at hiding signs of illness -- they often won't show pain until it's absolutely unbearable -- so often times, injuries and illnesses go untreated for far too long.