Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience:  34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.
22217170

its been 5 dys and my cats 3rd eyelid is stuck halfway across

its been 5 dys and my cats 3rd eyelid is stuck halfway across his eye. stool test turned up negative and no fever. what's wrong with him? my other cat has this too.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jay Mawhinney replied 5 years ago.
Hi
There is no specific answer to this. The third eyelid comes up either from irritation to the eye(it is a protective membrane) or to what is medically called a Sympathetic nerve response the most common thing being an intestinal(smooth muscle) inflammation. The most common cause of this when all else is normal is a parasitic infection of an intestinal parasite. The most common is the tape worm caused by ingesting the larvae contained in a flea. Since both cats have this, going to your veterinarian for a check up and possibly a tape worm deworming prescription(no over the counter medications work for this). If it continues then other things may be checked out..
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience: 34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the stool sample test wouldn't show if there was tape worm?
HI
No, most of the time it will be negative unless there is a really large number of tape worms.
Periodically the cat or cats will pass little rice like segments. They will sometimes stick to the fur and will be seen in the stool but they aren't shed every day. With something like this if everything else in fecal exam is normal it would be worth it to have Droncit injectin or Droncit plus tablets given to treat and rule this out. It is not life threatening and you certainly can discuss this with your veterinarian.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney