Drt4Mom, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have practiced Veterinary Medicine and surgery for 13. With an focus on small animals.

Can tapeworms kill my cat if left untreated Will they go away

Customer Question

Can tapeworms kill my cat if left untreated? Will they go away on their own? Will putting garlic in their food really kill tapeworms? Is their anything you can do to treat ear mites at home? Will ear mites go away on their own?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drt4Mom replied 7 years ago.

If left untreated tape worms can impact the health of your cat and in some cases a large enough infestation can kill a cat. The worms will not go away on their own. Garlic will not eliminate the tape worm infestation.

There over the counter medications for cats that are specifically for tape worms. The routine cat wormer will have no effect on tape worms. I strongly recommend a second dose of dewormer 14 days following the initial dose.

Control of the worm involves eliminating the worm and elimination fleas. The worm is spread by fleas so flea control is as important as deworming the cat.

As for the ear mites they will not go away on their own either. They can lead to other ear infections due to bacteria and yeast. I have seen limited success with the over the counter ear mite treatments. The best course of treatment involves not only treating for the mite but also a good cleaning and possible medication for the secondary infection.

I hope this information has helped.

If you have any more questions, let me know.