Dr. Lajos
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist

how will activia help my cats,passing of stool.

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer

Activia and other yogurts are considered probiotics, typically containing Lactobacillis acidophilus.

It is generally considered to be beneficial because it produces lactase which is an important digestive enzyme. It often helps resolve simple diarrhea. It is less useful in treating constipation, but may help.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks thats great as I have given him yogurt recomended by my vet to counteract the affects of antibiotics, and it seemed to help with constipation, as his stool was dry, and may have been because the moisture was srawn from his stool when he was a little dehydrated. I am concerned a little nopw as it has been 1 1/2 days since he passed stool, and at 20 he is still a good eater and hasnt stopped. thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 7 years ago.
Sometimes when cats have constipation a lot of stool builds up. They defecate a bunch, then some time goes by until they go again. The yogurt should help normalize that. If he does not defecate in 3 days or so, I would consider taking him back in to be seen. There are some medications that can be given for constipation in cats, such as Colace, but I would stick with yogurt if it works as it is gentle.

Thanks for accepting and for the generous bonus.

Please don't accept again as the site will bill you again.