VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Staff Internist and Medical Director

Why is my cats pee foamy

Why is my cat's pee foamy?
It is hard to say for sure, but there are a few reasons.

Protein in any fluid will create foam when the fluid splashes around. Your cat can have protein in his urine for many reasons.
  • Urinary tract infections often increase the amount of protein in urine due to the presence of bacteria and the inflammatory cells that are there to kill the bacteria.
  • Blood in the urine can increase protein, this can be present due to infection or inflammation or due to a bleeding disorder. If the urine is not red or really dark, this is not as likely to be causing the problem
  • Bladder stones cause inflammation or can potentiate infections. They also cause increases in protein because of the inflammatory cells.
  • Mucus in the urine also makes urine foamy. Male cats are known to have quite a bit of mucus in their urine and this can predispose them to urinary tract blockage.
  • Kidney disease can add a little or a lot of protein to the urine. Damage to the filtration structures of the kidney can allow protein to be lost from the blood into the urine. This can be a serious problem
I hope this has offered you some possibilities. A urinalysis, urine culture, urine protein:creatinine ratio and a serum biochemistry profile can provide you with a lot of information to help you determine if there is a problem with your cat. If you have noticed him straining a lot to urinate or if he is drinking and urinating more than usual, these are good signs that he should be evaluated by a veterinarian.

Dr. Shadwick

Please let me know if this has been helpful. Feedback is always appreciated.