CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My cat keeps throwing up and is getting very skinny. She eats

My cat keeps throwing up and is getting very skinny. She eats dry and wet food and there is no hairballs in her throw up and has been doing this for about 6-8 months.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

How old is your cat?

Drinking more than you would expect?

Good appetite?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

She is 7 to 8 years old.
She is not drinking more then normal.
She trys to eat a lot, but doesnt keep it down.
Thank you for your post!

Using your history - whenever I have an owner present to me with a case similar to what you write:

- Middle aged to older cat

- Chronic vomiting

- Weight loss

I discuss that there are a certain group of disease processes which tend to be more likely.

Possibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid)
- Diabetes
- Kidney Disease
- etc.

With this information - the first step to evaluate underlying causes would be basic bloodwork checking the sugar level, thyroid level, and organ values.

If those tests are non diagnostic - meaning they do not show an answer as to what is going on -
the next test would then be an abdominal ultrasound.

With that said - what would I be looking into with the ultrasound? Why do I recommend this? Of course it would be part of a thorough evaluation when there is chronic vomting and weight loss - but notably I would be looking to see if there was evidence of intestinal thickening due to either cancer such as Lymphoma or Inflammatory Bowel DIsease.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if you have other questions!

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.