Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College

My cat isnt pooping or peeing. It seems like his abdomen

My cat isn't pooping or peeing. It seems like his abdomen hurts. When I put pressure on his stomach he let some gas out. I also can't get him to eat or drink anything. What do I need to do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Just a few questions first...

How old is your kitty?
How long has this been going on?
When was the last time you saw any urine in the box?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
About 5 yrs old and yesterday he wasn't acting like himself but today is worst. Yesterday I saw him urinate in his box but no poop.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 7 years ago.
Thank you,

There are two possible problems... One is urinary tract obstruction, the other is constipation.

Urinary tract obstruction is much more serious and can be fatal if not treated within 36-48 hours; in this condition the urethra becomes plugged by debris in the urine (mucus, crystals, etc) or the muscle in the urethra spasms and closes it off.

Constipation is not as serious but still very concerning. If his stools have been small and hard recently, this may mean that he is constipated.

It is hard to tell which it is unless you have seen normal stool or urine sometime today. It sounds like you have not; on top of that he is not feeling well. My recommendation is to take him to a veterinarian tonight. They will be able to tell if he's constipated (by feeling large amount of hard stool in the colon) or has a urinary tract obstruction (by feeling a large, firm bladder). Once the problem is determined, he can then be treated. I would not wait till tomorrow, he might be much more sick by then.

Hope this was helpful; please let me know if you have any other questions and good luck with him!