Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Veterinarian
Experience:  Graduated vet school with honors; Own 6 cats; involved in feral cat rescue.

My cat has been peeing a lot today. He is going to his box

My cat has been peeing a lot today. He is going to his box every 15 to 20 minutes. What could the problem be and should I get him to a vet this week?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Hi there- I'd like some more info so I can try to help.
When he goes to the box and urinates, does anything come out? If so, is it a big amount or only a few drops? Is he eating? Is he vomiting? Is he drinking a lot of water?
Thanks- talk to you soon,
Dr. Karen
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Small amounts of urine comes out. Seems to be eating, but maybe not as much as usual. No vomiting and he is not drinking excessive amounts of water. His dispostion seems to be normal too.
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Hi again- Yes, he needs to go to the vet very soon! It sounds like he may have inflammation of his urethra and/or bladder. This can be caused by infection, bladder stones, crystals in the urine, or a syndrome in cats called FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease). Your vet will need to take a urine sample and possibly an abdominal xray to check for bladder stones. He will probably prescribe some antibiotics and pain medication. It is very important that you take him to be seen as soon as possible because sometimes MALE cats that have crystals in their urine or bladder stones can become BLOCKED- that means he cannot urine AT ALL, and that's life threatening!Feel your cat's belly- if you CAN feel a LARGE, VERY FIRM object in his belly, it could be his bladder, meaning it is very full and BLOCKED, and that's an emergency.
Hope this helps- write back if you have more questions,
Dr. Karen
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help.