Dr. K
Dr. K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

I have bugs on my cat. I know what fleas look like they dontlook

I have bugs on my cat. I know what fleas look like they don'tlook like fleas what are they. They are small with wings, crawling & don't jump like fleas

Is your cat acting itchy?
If you search through your cat's fur, do you find any little specks of brownish/blackish dirt?
Is your cat on a monthly flea preventative? If so, which one? When was it last applied?
About how large (in mm. or inches.) is one of these little bugs?
Do they crawl around pretty quickly?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes there is black brown flecks. They crawl around quickly. I put the last treatment on my cats 2 months ago. It was from the vet where you put on the back of their neck. They do seem itchy. They were just at the vet 2 months ago & they were itch & they found nothing. I had problem 25 years ago but none since with fleas we brought home from Florida.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I meant to type 5 years ago
What I would like you to do is a simple test. Get a plain white paper towel or paper napkin. Pick up some of the flecks of dirt that you see on your kitty's skin, and place the flecks on the napkin. Then just put a drop of water on top of the flecks on the napkin so the flecks of dirt get wet. Tell me if you then see some reddish/brownish staining around the dirt flecks on the white paper.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes there is
Ok...based on your description and the results of that test, your kitty has fleas. The good news is...fleas are easy to get rid of if you use a safe and effective product. You should visit your vet as soon as possible to get a good product such as Frontline, Advantage or ProMeris. As long as you treat all dogs and cats in your household with the product, then you should not need to treat the house with any chemicals.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about this,

Dr. K