CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

why would my cats heart be racing shes panting and he eyes

why would my cat's heart be racing? she's panting and he eyes are going back and forth very fast. and she keeps falling over on her right side.

Hi there,

How old is your cat?

When did this start?

Are the eyes moving up and down or side to side?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she's 6. the falling over started last night and all the rest started about 45 mins ago. her eyes are moving side to side
Hi there,

Welcome to - Without a complete and thorough examination - I will not be able to give an exact cause (internet...)...but I will certainly try to help and work through the case with my thoughts below...

- 6 year old cat
- Sudden onset of falling over, loss of balance, collapse
- Eyes moving side to side

From your history, it seems as if your cat is having a vestibular event

This link discusses vestibular disease in dogs and cats and may help a little:

I would certainly recommend veterinary evaluation and examination to confirm
At times causes can be a stroke like "vascular event", high blood pressure, systemic disease, infectious diseases, and even brain disease.

Depending on the true clinical signs, possible tests to consider would include:
- Routine bloodwork
- Blood pressure
- Infectious disease titers such as Toxoplasma
- Ultimately if the signs persist, even tests such as a MRI and CSF tap should be considered.

You may also elect to see if your veterinarian can refer you to a board certified veterinarian neurologist for their expert evaluation and recommendations.

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.