Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 yrs experience, board certified in lab animal medicine, PhD in pathology
19927663

Small bump on my cats upper eye lid. Turned pink in color and

Small bump on my cats upper eye lid. Turned pink in color and is a source of what appears to be mild irritation.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 7 years ago.

Hello! I have a few questions for you:

1. How is your cat other than the eyelid? Behaving normally? Eating/drinking okay? Normal urination/bowel movements?

2. Does the affected eye seem to bother him at all? Is he rubbing at it with his paw or rubbing his face against things?

3. Where on the eyelid is the bump located? At the eyelid edge near the lashes? Near the tear duct? On the inside surface or outside surface?

4. Any discharge from the eye? If so, what does it look like?

5. Does the eyeball itself look normal/healthy as far as you can tell?

6. How long has the bump been there? Did it come on very suddenly, or gradually appear over time?

Please give me some more info and I'll do my best to help.

Dr. Jill

If this answer was helpful, please click the Accept button. I am a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to answer your questions. The information I provide, however, cannot take the place of a hands-on examination by a veterinarian.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1)She behaves perfectly normal. Eating and drinking ok.
2)It seam to bother her a little. She licks her paw the rubs her eye.
3) The lump is on the left upper eye lid next to the ear duct.
4) no discharge, but has reasently turned from haing fur on it, to no fur at all. It appears red and slightly inflamed.
5) The eyeball appears to be ok. She does squint in that eye slightly.
6) I first noticed the bump about 2 months ago. It grew very slow and didn't appear to bother her utill a couple of days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 7 years ago.
Well, without examining your cat in person, of course its impossible to say for sure what is wrong with her eye. There are several possibilities, including:

1. blocked tear duct
2. infection (fungal infections in particular can cause a nodule to form)
3. tumors (squamous cell carcinima, mast cell tumor, lymphosarcoma)
4. a cyst

Since the bump has been there for quite some time, and is now bothering your cat somewhat and seems to be worsening, I'd recommend taking her to a veterinarian for an eye exam. They should be able to determine the cause of the bump and how best to treat it.

I hope this helps and hope that your cat is feeling better soon!

Dr. Jill