Drt4Mom, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have practiced Veterinary Medicine and surgery for 13. With an focus on small animals.

My 14 yo Cat no longer meows. He has always been a talker.

My 14 yo Cat no longer meow's. He has always been a talker. Last week meow started to sound scratcy, now he no longer makes a sound. He otherwise seems fine. He's eating and drinking normally.   Does this happen to older cats?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drt4Mom replied 7 years ago.

Older cans can lose their voice. This happens to both inside and outside cats. The problem may be temporary if it is due to a reaction to something in the environment that he is mildly allergic to.

The problem may permanent if it is due to weak muscles and nerves in the vocal cords.

Keep an eye on him. As long as he is able to swallow when he eats and drinks he should be fine

Good Luck