Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

my cat has a large stomach. She is fixed, but looks like shes

my cat has a large stomach. She is fixed, but looks like she's pregnant. she doesn't seem ill and eats and drinks fine. I'm not sure if she's just fat or if she has a bigger problem. she also has very bad itching towards the back of her body to the point where she scratches herself raw at times and has small scabs. She is about 10 years old and is usually indoors.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. There are several conditions that can cause a swollen abdomen in a cat this age:

• Heart disease can cause a fluid buildup in the belly. Typical signs are coughing or difficult breathing
  • Cancer of the belly
  • A disease called Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP). A cat can have this disease for years before showing symptoms. It is not curable.
  • Liver disease can cause a buildup of fluid in the abdomen

In this case it is definitely best to have her checked to find out the cause and whether it is treatable or not. The itching is probably separate and caused by allergies. If you have more questions please let me know.