Doc Evan
Doc Evan, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian since 1985. Have worked in both Private Practive and University Veterinary Hospital

how long does rabies vaccine last in cats I have a cat that

how long does rabies vaccine last in cats? I have a cat that is very old and not well but the last vaccine was in 7/07 and he is due for a shot. Since the vet visit bill is so expensive, I was wondering how long the vaccine lasts and does he really need it. I do NOT let him go outside but I always vaccinated just in case he got out.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Evan replied 7 years ago.
This is critical to due. Rabies is such a deadly disease to cats and people to. Even cats that are indoor have gotten it through critters we do not know about. Call your local humane society or pound and ask about Rabies vaccine clinics. They usually have discounted vaccine services. Each state has its own law about how often rabies vaccine are need in cats, but generally its every two years. Althoug it is varied, the immunity can last up to 3 years is the general thought.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
Evan keller