Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

what will a blind cats eyes look like. My cat will soon be

Customer Question

what will a blind cats eyes look like. My cat will soon be 16 yrs old and can not see .His eyes are clear how ever I have in the past few days seen realy bright spots in the center of his eyes. the bright spots look like stars. is there any hope to restore .
George email [email protected]
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 years ago.
Hi George,
There are many causes of blindness in cats, and they can look different, and are treated differently.

For instance, a cat with retinal detachments will have big dilated pupils, where you can see hardly any of the iris (colored part) of the eye. Retinal detachment can be caused by high blood pressure, which in turn can be caused by kidney disease, or by hyperthyroid disease. Sometimes you see bright spots, like the ones you describe.

A cat with cataracts will also be blind, but instead of big dilated pupils, you will see a glassy appearance. Cataracts can be treated with surgery.

If your cat has gone suddenly blind, he should be checked by a veterinarian as soon as possible; the longer he is blind, the less chance of getting the vision back. There is some hope of restoration if this just happened, and is due to something treatable like hyperthyroidism or high blood pressure. I hope you can get some answers soon, and wish you a good outcome. Rebecca
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.